Healthy, strong family relationships are foundational to young people’s growth, learning, and well-being.
These relationships build strong social and emotional strengths that kids use throughout their lives.
But great family relationships don’t just happen..
Welcome to My Discovery Destination!
Discovery Family Adventures
where your family can find plenty of opportunities to
The Discovery Family Adventures provide ideas, activities, and experiences to help build strong family relationships.
Our goal is to strengthen family relationships to help kids be and become their best selves
and to support parents in raising happy, successful, resilient kids in an exciting,
but sometimes turbulent and dangerous world.
Choose from the Adventures listed below
(or design your own family adventure!)
Make a Positive Difference!
GOAL: Set a habit of using your technology to serve others.
The ADVENTURE: Brainstorm ways you can use the technology available to you to serve others.
Service is usually it's own validation. Help family members recognize that feeling of satisfaction as a result of making a positive difference and helping someone else.
Be sure to tell your child how proud you are of the service they are doing, of the ideas they have come up with, of how they are being responsible and creative in their use of technology.
If possible and needed, support them in their efforts to #UseTech2Serve by providing them with the resources they need, the technology they need, even new types of technology to get creative with.
There are as many different ways to use technology to serve as there are kids and families. Take time to brainstorm your options using the following questions:
- What technology do we have available to us?
- What special skills do we have?
- What needs do we know of in our community?
- Are there ways we can bring our technology and skills together with a need in the community?
- Are there other people in our circle of influence that we could ask to work with us?
Here are some ideas to get you going on ideas:
- Teach senior citizens how to use computers
- Use your technology to compile a collection of old music to help seniors suffering from dementia
- Develop an app to provide a solution to a problem you see in the community
- Use your social media sites to spread positivity online.
- Use your social media sites to support someone who is being bullied and help them feel good about themselves.
- Use your computer and special skill to help a new business get things going.
- Use social media to start a grass roots campaign about an issue you care about.
- Use the internet to learn a new skill that is needed to solve a problem you notice in the community.
- Need help knowing what's needed in your community? Check out JustServe.org
The sky is the limit . . . Have FUN!!
Once you have come up with your idea(s), be sure to maximize the impact of your work by taking a few extra minutes to report it as part of the Super Service Challenge: https://summer.mydiscoverydestination.com/discovery/adv/1906/
Community Engagement Adventure
Ready to expand your service to have even more impact?
Organize a group of friends to help you with a service project. The only thing better than serving on your own is serving with a group of friends and family focused on working together to solve a problem in the community.
At JustServe, we believe that nothing should get in the way of organizations and volunteers coming together to do good things for the community, so we help make this happen for free.
Check back often as we will post new Adventures every week
Not sure how the Discovery Family Program works?
Discovery Family Program How-To Visual
My Discovery Destination! Adventures
Sponsored by My Discovery Destination! and local businesses and organizations in your community
for the purpose of
STRENGTHENING FAMILIES and BUILDING CHARACTER.